There are two things every website must have:
- If you don’t have one already, you will need to register and rent a domain name, such as lab99.com or microsoft.com. (Sorry — both of these have already been taken!).
- You will also need to rent space for your website on a web server, a computer which anyone can access via the internet. See our Web Hosting page for details.
Domain Name Prices
Domain names are registered for either one year or two years, depending on the type of name.
|Domain||Price per Year|
|Domain||Price per 2 Years|
Other Domain Name Extensions
Many other, less common, domain name extensions are available. Please contact us if you have anything specific in mind. Certain extensions, such as .gov.uk and .ac.uk, are reserved for certain organisations, and are not available to the general public.
Domain Name Differences
The extensions listed above have different terms and prices because they are administered by two central organisations:
- ICANN, based in the USA, administers the .com type of name.
- Nominet, based in the UK, administers the .co.uk type of name.
Choosing Domain Names
- Domain names are first come, first served.
- As well as checking the availability of, and supplying, domain names, we are happy to give free advice to help you choose the best domain name for your website.
Domain Name Privacy
When you register a domain name, certain personal or company details are put on an online register, which is available to the public. Nominet allows non–trading individuals to remove their details from the register, and may contact domain name holders by post with the appropriate information. ICANN, on the other hand, only offers exceptions on payment of a fee. We can arrange this; please contact us for details.
Domain Name Renewals
A warning — if you register a .com, .org or .net domain name, you may be contacted by companies pretending to renew your domain name registration. This is a very common scam, and has been going on for years. See our Domain Name Scams page for details.
Lab 99 Web Design do not sub–contract the renewals of domain names registered through us. Do not pay money to some organisation you have never heard of, no matter how official they may appear to be!